Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Tree Ornament Money Gifts


My plan was to make a money gift card for two of my Grandsons, but decided to do some Origami using money.  Found a tutorial from Jenny Chan for a flower/star using three $1 bills and  a tutorial also from Jenny Chan for a guitar  using one $1 bill.  They were hung on our Christmas tree next to an ornament that had a picture of each of them as a tag for their gift.  Of course, I didn't use $1 bills for these so I wanted to make them work for there gift.  Told the boys that there gift was somewhere in the living room but they had to find it, giving them clues that they were not in any drawers and they were in plain sight...believe it or not it took them about 15-20 minutes before they found them.  The only other person that knew where they were put was my husband.  What a mistake that was...he can't keep secrets.  Kept him quiet as long as I could until he sang "Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree".  I can't imagine how long it would have taken them if they hadn't gotten that clue.  



They were quite proud of my origami ornaments and proudly said they didn't want to take them apart...well I was pretty sure once they got them back home they would be taken apart and was sure it wouldn't take them as long as it did to find them, nor the hours I spent on them.  The flower/star ornament went together pretty fast, but there were a lot of stops and playbacks in the tutorial for the guitar.  My time was well spent and worth it to see them trying to find them, and there were times the ornaments were just inches away from their nose.  

Submitted to the following challenges

Top Pick of last Week's Challenge 
By:  Angela Bonanno








Products Used:  
(8) U.S. Bills - You'll have to guess the amount of each Bill
Green Thread 
Scissors 
And a lot of patience 

3 comments:

jeanchaneyaz said...

Oh my, Sue, what a fantastic ides. I must remember this for next year for my grandchildren! Right, like I can remember anything anymore, LOL!

Alyson Mayo said...

I love the list of supplies - "a lot of patience"... I can only imagine. And some people just are no good at keeping secrets - perhaps would be better left in the dark when it comes to things like this! Congratulations on creating a couple of very unique gifts :)

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Comments from the DT at The Outlawz Twisted Thursday "Ornament"
Jean Chaney, DT on December 27, 2017 at 3:05pm
Thanks for the link over at your blog, Sue! I am loving this idea and will borrow it for my own grandchildren next year. Super idea!

Suzanne Reynolds on December 27, 2017 4:07pm
Thank you. Warning, the guitar was a lot of rewind on tutorial because of the turns and folds; but got pretty close to it.

Katrina Brown, DT on December 27, 2017 at 3:56pm
What a fun and creative way to give money

Bonnie Kohane on December 27, 2017 at 8:41pm
That is very clever, Suzanne! I am tucking some money into a cookbook for my son-in-law. It isn't as creative as this idea!

Permalink Reply by Janet McLaughlin,DT on December 28, 2017 at 10:02am
How creative, Suzanne! What a fun way to give and receive money!

Angela Bonanno, DT on January 6, 2018 at 1:59pm
These are so awesome! I love making Origami out of money! Especially when I am adding money to a birthday card, I like to have it in a shape of some sort. This year I made the t-shirt for one nephew and a heart shape for the other, wish I had done a guitar instead! Very nicely done!